If you're buying a home in Berks County, you may be thinking about using a storage unit. Storing items during a move certainly has it's advantages.
Moving is not only a way to make a new beginning, but to weed out the clutter in your life. When you get rid of the things you no longer need, you can save money and time.
Yet not everyone has the time to go through everything they own. So if you're pressed for time, then using a storage unit may be the way to go.
Here's a few things to think about when considering if storage is a good option to help you in the moving process.
Advantages of Using Storage
- Pack up all the things you don't need now.
- Staging your home will be more simple.
- You home will look larger, adding to selling appeal.
- Personal items will be out of sight from buyers.
- Out of sight, out of mind.
- You can sort all your items later.
- You can decide what furniture works best in your new home and decide what to keep after you move.
Disadvantages of Using Storage
- Another expense.
- You'll have to handle everything twice, which is more work.
- Not all units guarantee your items will be safe, so you may need additional insurance.
- Storing items can lead to delayed decisions about what stays and what goes.
- You may end up storing things you don't need, and paying monthly fees for those items.
- It's hard to reach items in the back of a full unit.
Portable Storage Units
No doubt you've heard about portable storage, such as PODS. These can be a great alternative to traditional storage units. You can keep the unit at your house while you pack, giving you more time to load your possessions. Then the unit is delivered to your new house. Some units are also designed to be long-term storage at a warehouse or at your home.
The advantage of portable storage is that you can pack and unpack everything in one go, eliminating the need to haul your things to a storage facility, then back again to the new home.
Check back on our blog every week for more real estate articles and local Berks County information. Looking for the ideal for sale in Berks County? Our powerful home search tool will help you find the home of your dreams.